Trademark Registration in Ethiopia
We provide for the following Trademark services;
Trademark search & registration
- Our Trademark Attorney in Ethiopia will conduct Trademark searches with Ethiopia Intellectual Property Office. The Preliminary trademark search shall be conducted to avoid legal complications in the future. The point of a trademark search is to ensure that the trademark is not already under application or registered by another entity in order to reduce the possibilities of the rejection or opposition raised, in the Trademark registration process.
- Our Trademark Attorney in Ethiopia will Filing and prosecuting Trademark applications at the Ethiopia Intellectual Property Office.
- Infringement and validity opinion.
Post-registration services on:
- Recordal of Renewals
- Recordal of Assignment, change of name and/or Merger
- Recordal of Licensing and Franchising
Trademark Application Filing Requirements in Ethiopia:
- Name, address and nationality of the Applicant;
- One copy of the mark
- List of goods and services;
- List of Classes;
- Priority application number, country and date, if any;
- Certified copy of priority documents (with English translation),
- Power of Attorney Simply signed by the authorized Person.
- Trademarks in Ethiopia are categorized in accordance with the International Classification of Goods and Services under the Nice Classification;
- Multi-class applications are allowed, separate classification of goods for which the trademark is to be registered, may be file by one application;
- The total time from filing to registration is approximately 25 months. Trademark applications are examined for compliance with formal and substantive requirements and are published in the official gazette after registration.
- Trademarks may be opposed after acceptance, within 60 days from the date of Publication.
- The Trademark registration and protection lasts for 7 years from the filing date.
- The Trademark registration is renewable indefinitely for periods of 7 years. The trademark renewal can be requested during the grace period of six (6) months after expiration, upon payment of a late renewal fee.
- The Trademark will become vulnerable to cancellation actions based on lack of use, if it goes unused for more than three years (3) after registration of the trademark.
Please contact us for more information regarding Trademark Services in Ethiopia.